What Is Rhinoplasty?
Also referred to as a nose job or nose reshaping, rhinoplasty is surgery that alters the shape of your nose. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, it is the most common plastic surgery procedure for the face. If you have difficulty breathing through your nose or wish to change its shape, rhinoplasty may help.
Is This Procedure a Good Fit for Me?
You may benefit from rhinoplasty if:
- You struggle to breathe through your nose.
- You have a deviated septum.
- Traditional treatments for sleep apnea haven’t worked.
- You’re interested in reshaping your nose.
Surgery is performed using either a local or general anesthetic. The procedure typically takes between one to two hours but may last longer when more complex restructuring is required.
An incision is made – usually inside the nostrils – and the nose is either reduced or augmented using cartilage from other parts of the body. If a deviated septum needs to be corrected, it is straightened.
Once the nasal structure has been reshaped, the incisions are closed and the patient is given a splint and packing to help support the nose as it heals.
Most patients return home the same day, though more complicated procedures may require a brief hospital stay. You’ll be asked to rest in bed immediately after the surgery, keeping your head elevated in order to reduce swelling and bleeding. Dressings usually come off after a week.
What Precautions Should You Take Post-Surgery?
- Avoid demanding aerobic activities.
- Avoid intense facial expressions including laughing and smiling.
- Do not shower while your nose remains bandaged.
- Do not pull clothing over your head while healing.
- Do not rest glasses on your nose for four weeks post-surgery.
- Do not blow your nose.
- Lightly brush your teeth, especially near the upper lip.
- Eat high-fiber food.
- Wear SPF 30 sunscreen on your nose when outside.
You may experience puffiness in the face and minor bruising for a few days while you heal. Rhinoplasty usually offers permanent results, though it may take up to a year for these to be fully noticeable.
What Results Can I Expect?
Results are typically noticeable after one month, though the final shape of your nose may not be completely visible for up to a year after the surgery is complete.
When it comes to nasal reconstruction, even small changes can boost your confidence. Our team is here to help you breathe better and achieve your ideal look.