Balloon Sinuplasty (BSP) is a safe and effective procedure for patients with chronic sinusitis who are not responding well to medications and are seeking relief from uncomfortable and painful sinus symptoms such as nasal congestion, sinus pressure, headaches, drainage and loss of smell.
With Balloon Sinuplasty, an ENT surgeon can open inflamed sinuses in the same way that a heart surgeon opens up blocked arteries during balloon angioplasty. The procedure is less invasive than traditional sinus surgery, but just as effective at relieving symptoms of chronic sinusitis. Balloon Sinuplasty allows patients to return to normal activity quickly and unlike traditional sinus surgery, does not include the removal of bone or tissue leading to less bleeding, and no need for painful nasal packing.
The benefits of Balloon Sinuplasty include:
- Safe. More than 150,000 patients have been treated safely with Balloon Sinuplasty in the United States. Toledo Clinic ENT has safely treated over 2,000 patients from Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan.
- Proven. Over 95% of patients who’ve had the procedure say they would have it again. (1)
- Fast. While recovery time varies with each patient, people can generally return to normal activity within a day or two following the procedure.
If you have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and are not responding well to antibiotics, you may be a candidate for sinus surgery. There is now a less invasive option used by the doctors at The Toledo Clinic ENT Sinus Center of Excellence to treat patients with chronic sinusitis that is clinically proven to be safe, effective and improve the quality of your life.
Download more information here!
Video demonstrating new device for delivering balloon sinuplasty procedure (below)
1. ORIOS I, office-based dilation, Data on file at Acclarent.
2. Wynn R, Vaughn W. “Post-Operative Pain After FESS with Balloon Sinuplasty.”AAO, 2006.